In the summer of 2016, we will be offering the third iteration of our Design the Shift summer professional learning institute. This summer experience uses the processes and mindsets of design thinking to imagine possibilities for engaging, authentic task design and making learning visible. Feedback from the 90+ participants from the past two summers has been overwhelmingly positive. Each year, Design the Shift is created using an iterative design process, and builds upon the successes of the previous year to create a new learning experience for educators. We appreciate your sharing this opportunity with your staff and admin teams.
The themes of the three days will be focused on:
- Gaining empathy from place
- Finding inspiration in people
- Being alive as a learner
Who is this for?Teachers and administrators who are willing to:
- think in new and different ways about teaching and learning
- engage in professional learning as the role of the learner
- dwell in a space of ambiguity
- consider all people, places, things, and objects as learning resources
- take risks
- see connections between concepts, ideas, and disciplines
- immerse yourself in three days of collaborative professional learning this summer
Some feedback from previous participants has been that participation has been most effective when teachers attend with others from their school or professional network. Please strongly consider applying with others from your school or professional network.
When will this be taking place?There will be two rounds of Design the Shift. Participants will attend one of the following rounds.
- August 8, 9, 10, 2016
- August 24, 25, 26, 2016
There will also be four half-day sessions throughout the school year to continue to collaborate and learn together. Substitute coverage will be provided.
What will we be doing?Participants will be engaging in participatory activities that will put them in the shoes of the learner.
Participants can expect to leave the summer institute with:
- A foundational understanding of the design thinking process
- A deepened development of the design thinking mindsets
- A collaborative professional learning community
What am I committing to?
- Immersing yourself in three days of professional learning this summer.
- Participating in four half day communities of practice to come together throughout the school year (substitute costs will be covered)
- Continuing to apply the design thinking process and mindsets in designing tasks for your students in your context.
- Making your own learning visible within the CBE and with other professionals.